Why not?

 When I was younger, I used to dress up on a regular basis. When I got older, it changed from dress-up to dressing up, and I used to do it more frequently than I do now–why?–because, why not?

 Dressing up for fun without any plans other than wanting to look particularly fine on a given day is something I did when I got new pieces of clothing. I would spend the entire day sometimes, just going back and forth and trying on new outfits just to see what worked, and what didn't.

 The act of taking the time and the care of what it was I was putting together was very relaxing, and in a way, I suppose it could be called therapeutic.
 Why I have suddenly not done this is for one reason–I became lazy.

 I don't have a lot of pictures taken of me, and as a result I usually end up taking pictures of myself on those particular days so I have some decent photographs. Those photos typically end up becoming profile pictures on social media. But for me, the getting ready and getting dressed up (as long as I had nowhere to go on a deadline) was very calming for me, because it felt like I was just taking the day to myself.
 Every so often, I'll do it again. But not as often as I once did. Which to be completely honest, is a tinge sad. Clothes and fashion have often been outlets for my creativity, and so to dive in to my closet head first was sometimes the best times of the day that I could imagine.
 Now, however, the act of putting oneself together seems to denote a different kind of living. For me, to be well dressed–in the sense of: I'm wearing clean clothes, and shirts with minimal to no wrinkling, and I've at least pulled my hair back–was to show that I was conscious of my appearance, and that I wanted to look like I cared about it too.

 But now, the effort and the act of putting myself together almost seems strenuous at times. Especially when going places where you will almost certainly see people who've been well put together and clearly have taken a lot of time on their looks for that day.

 Simple is almost always best as far as I'm concerned, and that can be translated to almost anything, such as: evening gowns, cocktail dresses, and fancy dress wear.
 You needn't have an extremely complicated evening gown as far as design, but show it in the beadwork, show it in the small embroidering that would no doubt be present on a carefully made gown. Or, even in the lace or tulle work that is present in so many cocktail dresses nowadays.
 Simple doesn't mean plain. Simple doesn't mean boring.
 Simple means clearly understood or of an easily understood nature.

 When fashion became important to me, the more the concept of making things simple seemed to become ever more important.
 To be simple in appearance, yet elegant, is a feat that is often underestimated. Elegance can be achieved at almost any level, be it simple and clean cut, or articulately designed.
 Because at the heart of it all, elegance is a graceful quality, and the act of being graceful can be easily distinguished.
 You can see when someone cares about their appearance, and may have put a lot of time or effort into it. You can also see someone who might appear to be effortless in their looks.
 Those people have often found what it is that makes their appearance elegant to their own tastes and personality. For each person it's different, as it should be.
 Many people could stand in a line and wear the same outfit, and you could see those whom the outfit would look good on, bad on, or best on.
 Then change the outfit, and you have a different result.
Many people look good in many different outfits, but not everyone looks their best in another outfit. Some clothing choices are better suited to different people, whether it deals with body type or personality. That's the simple truth of it.

 That's not to say, however, that you can't look fabulous.
Finding what works for you, and finding what you love is most important out of any and all things any fashion magazine might say.
 If you don't love what you wear, you're not going to enjoy it as much as... say that dress you own that you know you look rockin' in, but you don't wear all that often. That's okay! I own several pieces of clothing I hardly wear, but when I do, I know I look great!
 Loving what you wear can also help you feel confident in your appearance. I know a lot of people who don't always feel confident in their appearance, but when I see them wearing something I know that they love–say, a favorite pair of shoes or boots–I can see they feel much more confident in how they look, and it can easily reflect in their mood as well.

 Wear what you love; that's the most important thing in finding personal style. You'll know it when you see it. One of those pieces might already be hiding, or just got tucked away in the back of your closet. It happens. I know it's happened to me more often than I can remember.
 So long as you know that no matter what, you're beautiful, than what's most important when it comes to style, or elegance.



                       after all...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A life and a love

Resolutions

So I broke my phone