Coming Soon

 To a website near you!

 It's almost that time of year again, the scent of paper, ink, and hot beverages is in the air, and that can mean only one thing–NaNoWriMo.

 NaNoWriMo may be a little ways off at the moment, but it will be here before many of us realize! The prep for it is underway, or perhaps some of you–like me–have been prepping for it since the beginning of October (maybe even earlier).

 Maybe this is your first year doing NaNoWriMo, or you're a returning writer, maybe you've never heard of it before, if you enjoy writing I encourage you to give it a go! That's all I did, now I'm in my fourth year! The motivation for it has largely been helped and encouraged by other fellow writers who have become my friends, and some others that are friends that have become writers!
 NaNoWriMo can sound daunting to some, to others it's a fun challenge, it's all in how you approach it.

 To my understanding, there are two ways of looking at NaNoWriMo:
  1. I have to write fifty thousand words in a month?
  2. I can write fifty thousand words in a month.
 I started in 2014. I had a rough idea and what I thought was a catchy title. I wrote 28,735 words. More than I thought I would ever write! In 2015, I won with exactly 50,000 words. And even though I am no longer working on it, the process of doing writing it taught me a few things about approaching the story.

 When you approach a story, you're approaching an idea. Some of them are flightier than others, while some will stay right in front of you the entire time. Others need some cleaning up and dusting off, others you sometimes turn down the brightness or the complexity. But here's some simple tips I have either learned by myself, or been taught when it comes to writing any story, and especially when approaching an idea.


1. Write down your first idea on paper.

 Think of this as mission statement, or the subject of a thesis. It can be either short or long, but it's the core of what you want to write. The importance of this is so that you can keep in mind your goal while you're writing. Or, so you can check that you're keeping true to your original idea. Even after you've finished, you can turn back to it and see where you might have changed some things, including your main goal (it's okay! it happens). The main purpose of writing down your first idea or inspiration is so you can always have that reference in tangible form. Because, even those with very good recollection can forget the specifics they once had before they started. It's how writing works. Once you do begin with an idea, the process adds to the very first thought you had. And trying to remember the first idea completely might not always result in what you originally had in mind.

2. Don't be afraid of new ideas.

 New ideas come and go. It's up to you to decide whether you want to use them or not. When I get ideas, I'll write them down on almost anything. I've got dozens of post it notes with single phrases or sentences, all of them little sparks of ideas.

3. Explore.

 Many people write in many different ways. Some plan every scene, while others simply begin and allow the story take shape itself. There's also some that do it with a basic structure of a story, and then allow their writing to fill in the blanks.
 I recommend talking to people who have written before, and those currently writing. NaNoWriMo is full of forums where you can get to know other writers, and they can help you along the way! If you have friends or family that write, to talk to them as well and get an idea of what they do. But do what is most comfortable for you. Writing is a personal endeavor, and something that develops over time. You'll find that some things work, and some don't. Soon enough, you're writing with your own personal style! But give yourself time. Rushing can be a writers bane. Don't worry about how you'll sound to others, be sure that you enjoy your writing first.

4. Keep going.

 Whether it's the amount of ideas, blogs, posts, books, or people, don't be afraid of writing. Sometimes it can feel overwhelming when you're starting. The important thing is that no one else can write like you, no one else can tell your story. Don't be afraid that your idea might sound crazy or cliché. It's always going to have your own personal touch, something no one else has.

5. Rest, don't Stress.

 The last tip for now; the importance of taking care of yourself. It can be easy to sit and write for a few hours one day, and nothing at all the next. But in the highs and lows of writing, it's important to remember: 
  • Drink plenty of liquids–including water–time can pass quickly when writing.
  • Remember to stand up and stretch, even if just for a few minutes.
  • Eat something healthy–sweets are tempting, but not always the best over long periods of time–and perhaps something sweet occasionally (they go best with coffee or tea).
  • Take breaks, it's good to step back from your writing every so often. Especially if you feel stuck. Get up and drink a glass of water, or go for a walk to help clear your head and open you up to new ideas, rather than staring at your writing.
  • Know that what you're writing is special. You're writing it! You're making a world with your imagination and willpower, that's something to be proud of.

 To all of you returning to NaNoWriMo, and to all of you just getting started, I hope these tips helped you! And I hope to see you during November!

Do you already have a story in mind? If so (and if you want to) share with me below! I'm looking forward to writing with you guys!

 -Mae/Dreamer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A life and a love

Resolutions

So I broke my phone