From the comfort of my couch

 I've learned many things from the comfort of my couch at home. I've watched documentaries, seen the beginnings of tv shows that have now blossomed into full thrown mayhem and plot twists. I've also listened to a lot of music, and seen a lot of things around the room that I haven't always taken in before.
 Sitting on my couch at home, even though my reasons for being there aren't always great, I always tend to take at least one good thing out of it. Even if it's just a simple sketch.

 I wouldn't say I'm resigned to ending up on the couch, or that I'm always comfortable with it. But I've learned to be okay with it. Okay with the fact that, life happens, and sometimes you just can't go anywhere.
 And on those days, I slow down. I don't feel the need to rush getting things done, so I turn my mind to other things–the learning things.
 I watch documentaries on those days I'm stuck in the living room, because then I know I can learn or see something valuable instead of re-watching one my favorite tv shows.
 I listen to music on shuffle to find those songs I tend to ignore, and really listen to the lyrics and what they mean.
 I read books that can teach me things because I might not have grasped them when I was in school, but the quietness of my home provides the mood.
 I also take my pencil in hand and sketch something from real life that I can see from where I'm sitting. Today just happened to be a plant. (A nice and simple plant too.)
 Suffice to say, there are moments when I feel like I'm actually alive and oddly enough, see more than I usually do than when I'm going around my daily life ignoring a pile of odd things to do, just to rush them at the last moment.
 But it's also on those days when I feel like I should be doing something. Like I should be doing those chores, and now that I might not have that option, I really feel like I should.
 Every so often I'll end up on my couch in the living room for some reason, and those days can sometimes be the more productive days of my life; because they give me time to think.

 Thinking is something that we do at a surprisingly rapid rate, some faster than others. For me, I'm always thinking, and always running at a hundred miles an hour. That is, until I'm sitting still. Until I'm in the living room sitting on the couch unable to go anywhere.
 I wouldn't say I look forward to it, because the reasons I'm there can vary. But I can say that I don't mind them, I don't dread them either. Life happens, and for whatever reason sometimes I can't "do life" like I normally do.
 Sometimes that's just what I need. A single day out of the week where my run-of-the-mill routine gets thrown out the door and told, "Come back tomorrow, and then we'll see what we'll do."

 Some people go shopping. Others go for a hike, or a short walk in the woods. Me? I sit at home, waiting for whatever has landed me back on the couch to pass. Because it will pass, and with a different result each time.
 It all depends on what it is I've chosen to do with myself on those solitary days.
Don't count the hours, make the hours count. Well, I can say with all honesty and integrity, those are wise words indeed.
 Make the most of those hours you wouldn't normally think about. Those hours when nothing is going on. You'd be surprised just what it is you can accomplish in the span of a single hour. And if that's not marvelous enough yet–think about what you could accomplish with an entire day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resolutions

A life and a love

So I broke my phone