The Writer's Book Tag

 Hello there, Readers!
 A brand new month is upon us, and I'm going to be doing my best to write even though NaNoWriMo has finished. With that in mind: it's my goal to try and blog at least once a week, with Sunday being day 1. I know I've tried this before and failed, and a bi-weekly as well. But I ended up worrying too much about what you all would or wouldn't like to read.
 In short, I'm just going to post what I know I like talking about. Simple as that. (I don't know why I take so long to grasp simple concepts, honestly :P)

 Via another blogger I follow, she said at the end of her blog post that anyone was allowed to say that they had been tagged by her. The fabulous Hannah Heath!

 Let's get started!



The Writer's Book Tag: Books I Love, Hate, and Couldn't Care Less About.


First Draft: A book or series that you've never read before.

The Mouse That Glowed.  I really should start reading this book. It has been sitting on my desk for far too long, and has been in my room for a far longer time than that. I don't know anything about this book other than what's on the back cover, but have been told repeatedly by family members that I should indeed read it. The only thing keeping me from reading it is that more often than not, I forget I have it. Hardly a valid excuse to any avid reader. In complete honesty, I don't know how I've managed to keep a book in my possession for so long and not read it!


Second Draft: A book or series you didn't like as much the second time you read it.

Vesper Holly.  Now, I am bending the question with this one. I have read this book series more than twice, but as it has been several years between my current reading of them and the previous one, I can say that as I've gotten older certain things are far less intriguing; while others remain as entertaining as before. But, there are some characters I find a bit tiring after a while, compared to several years ago when I did not find them to be as repetitive or strenuous. But, that is nothing compared to the enjoyment you can get from a casual reading of these stories. They can give intrigue and excitement to any young reader waiting and willing for a grand adventure!


Final Draft: A book or series that you've liked for a very long time.

The Hotel Cat.  I've been reading Jenny Linsky books for almost as long as I've been able to read. I just didn't know it until I was older. (The same as with William Joyce's books.) The Hotel Cat is a blend of old and new, seeing the world through different eyes–literally! Opening up the different parts of any one's world. Cats and Humans, though different, truly have wide spread talents and differences. The Hotel Cat is one story I have always found enjoyable to read, whether I'm seven, or seventy. (Okay I'm not that old yet. But trust me, I'll have owned at least one cat by then I bet.)


Killing off your characters: A book or series that made you cry.

Martin the Warrior, from the Redwall series.  If that book doesn't at least make you tear up–or in my case, as someone who treasures the safety of her books, nearly want to throw it against the wall–then I'm concerned for you my friend.


Plot Holes: A book or series that disappointed you.

Some book series can go on and on and it'll be fine. Others.... really should've been shorter. I read The Guardians of Ga'Hoole when I was 10-11 years old, and I loved them... when I was starting out. Some parts scared me, others excited me, and lots of it I found downright interesting when it came to learning about owls. When you reach a certain point, however, the excitement and the drama begin to become monotonous and everything starts to feel the same. I found that some books were well to do with their stories and being rather self contained, and the characters were very enjoyable! But, sometimes a series can just be too long. At currently 16 books, 15 of which I have read (to my memory), I can honestly say that I have fond memories of reading the beginnings of these books. But by the time I was done reading them, I was ready for it to be finished.


Writer's Block: A book or series you've never finished.

Divergent. I tried, but it was far far too much. It was far too explicit, and way WAY to detailed for a young person. I'm an adult, and I found myself skipping over FULL PAGES of details I had no need or desire to know. If you're a parent or an adult who knows a young child reading it, please know that due to much of the subject matter I would never recommend it on good conscience to or anyone under the age of 18 if I ever recommended it at all. Which I won't.


Feedback: A book or series that you'd recommend to anyone and everyone.

The Chronicles of Narnia.  Where would we be if I didn't bring up this marvelous book series? I've read and listened to the audio books of these stories for almost as long as I can remember. Many nights which would have been otherwise spent restless, tossing and turning, were spent falling asleep to the adventures of the Pevensie children, and their various friends and allies. These are books I can come back to again and again and never tire of hearing of their valiant exploits into the great (un)known. I highly recommend these to anybody and everybody.



 So there you have it, seven questions answered, and a few things to read if you're so inclined. I have added a list of books under my profile information for anyone looking for something to read. I will most likely update it from time to time–but never fear!–I'll keep a separate list of books I've put on it in case one disappears that you didn't have time to check out!

 Meanwhile my friends and readers, I hope you had a wonderful December first!

 Happy Holidays! And God bless.


-Mae

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A life and a love

Resolutions

So I broke my phone