Admitting your problems

 Sometimes, admitting your problems is hard, whether it's because you don't want to appear helpless in some occasions, or because admitting them would seem to acknowledge that they exist.

 I am one and the same with both of those problems. But there are some instances I have learned, where admitting you have a problem, is the first step to overcoming them. Because by denying that you're struggling, can do more damage than good.

 I don't like to admit that I have problems because I have pride. That pride has never gotten me anywhere worthwhile when it comes to facing my problems. I am proud because I don't want help, and don't want to appear helpless. I'm proud because I don't want to admit that there's something that could be potentially dragging me down.

 I had a frightening experience the other day. I know full well that I am not as physically capable/able as many of my friends, that is one part of my problem. Because I don't want to appear less capable or to seem as if I am falling behind. But I don't often acknowledge my own physical limitations due to that, and then being constantly asked if I am okay. But the thing is, it's not a bad thing that people ask if I am okay, because it means they care and are concerned about me–and it takes a long time for that to sink into my thick head.
 Being less physically capable than your peers is not a problem. Because guess what, I've got some breathing issues and I'm still doing the amount that I'm doing? That's awesome, because that means that even though I have something that could potentially count against me, I'm still not that far behind the others who might be at their prime. There goes that pride talking, but is this a different pride? Are there different types of pride in regards to ability?

 My specialties might not lie with my physical abilities, but that does not mean that I don't have something that makes me special. Everyone has something that makes them special, and sometimes that won't be in physical ability or prowess.
 I'm short and often feel overlooked or looked down upon because I'm small. But what I lack in hight, I like to think that I more than make up for in other ways and abilities. I don't run, but I can sprint the three seconds it takes to keep something from crashing down and breaking. I don't lift weights, but I know how to use leverage to move an object that's in the way or blocking a path. I don't fight, because I can stop them. Raising your voice never deescalates a problem, but providing a calm in the mist of a storm can bring peace.
 I'm not physically the strongest, fastest, or largest, but I'm me. And nobody else can be me, and I think that's the most special thing that I can be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A life and a love

Resolutions

So I broke my phone