It's called a typewriter for a reason

I spent the past half hour or so cleaning my typewriter.

Yes, they still exist.

I own one because I am a particularly happy person with a love of vintage things. And while it might not be what many or most consider the "perfect vintage" typewriter, it's a typewriter for crying out loud! IT'S AWESOME. No it's not baby blue, or that strange shade of green so many things seemed to come in back in the 50's, it's beige, and it's marvelous. It weighs a ton it seems, but it works fantastically! It does one thing, (cue many teenagers gasping at the horror) it types. Because it's a typewriter. Too many things nowadays do too many different things and altogether get to be extremely bothersome or annoying. To have something like a typewriter is a very welcomed change in it all. Granted, I am here writing about my typewriter on my computer, because I use my typewriter for things such as book revisions, and letters. (Plus, I doubt I would send out multiple letters to people each time I wrote a blog post. At that point I should just consider making a weekly pamphlet or something of the like.)


Also, I have successfully written more than two pages on one of my books today, and that alone to me is cause for at least a short celebration! I haven't managed to write more than a few stray paragraphs on it over the past... five, months. So today was a definite step forward in hopefully the more or less right direction for the story. I have an outline, and that definitely helps me, also it's more of a moral supporter for when I hit a rocky spot, I just look over at my outline and essentially do this.

Me: You can't make it!
Myself: Yes you can!
Me: What makes you think that, it's impossible. Just look how boring this all looks, even you skim over parts of it.
Myself: It's draft one, calm down.
Me: But if you skim over it how on earth will this amount to anything good?
I: WE'RE ALMOST AT THE BEGINNING OF THE NEXT SCENE!!!!!!!!
Myself: HAHAHAHA! TOLD YOU, ME!
Me: *angrily happy about it.*

And that is more or less the dialogue that takes place in my brain over the span of about a second when it comes to this whole thing. Don't underestimate my brain on this subject, it flies at a million miles an hour, which is also another reason why I type on the computer for first drafts rather than the typewriter. I don't wish to use up all of my brand new correction tape on it, I'd much rather use it for a nice revision. Plus, with a typewriter, sometimes you have to pace yourself differently than on a keyboard of a computer, so you also have to switch gears in that respect as well. Well, off to write some more! Good luck on yours!

 Have any cool "vintage" or not things from the past of your own?

Comments

  1. I love typewriters! :D I really wish I had one cause I would use that beautiful thing all the time.
    I have this lovely old mirror that hangs in my room. I don't remember how old it is, but it has these black spots and at the top it has this painting/drawing of these two ladies in fancy ballgowns.
    I also just got this amazing lamp. My grandma calls it a "Gone With the Wind" lamp cause they use it a lot in the movie. My grandpa fixed it up so it works now and I'm so happy. XD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A life and a love

Resolutions

Blogiversary