Day 7: 18 M & M's

 Not being able to find a satisfactory breakfast is starting to become a bit of a habitual thing. As I am endeavoring to not eat gluten for every meal, it brings breakfast options down to one thing: eggs.  But, as I am not inclined to cook for myself every morning, I am resorting to the large cache of leftover halloween candy. This morning's choice; a package of M & M's that held 18 pieces.
 Ordinarily I wouldn't recommend candy to start off the day, but chocolate does go so well with coffee.

 Today marks one week for NaNoWriMo. I myself have already written plenty of words, and I do hope at least some of them are good. Because, as with all first drafts, you have to have some room to maneuver.
 I've been thinking again about the Book Room Challenge. I find it very interesting at the different styles at which different writers approach the challenge. Some focus on the mood or tone of the room, describing the music you'd hear, or the types of lighting, things that affect the presence you are met with in a room. E.g. "Early morning light came filtering through the window, bathing everything in a pale but warm light."  While others first and foremost address the furnishing or the way in which the room is constructed itself. E.g. "The floor creaks as you walk across it, and the walls are so crumbled and old that you can see the outside through the openings."
 Different things like this are indications of different writers. And I find them both truly fascinating! It is so interesting, yet strange, that two people could be taught to write at the same time, both shown a picture of a room, and when asked to write the description of it, you could be given two completely different writings.
 Now, these are just my own personal observations. Some people, if not all of them, certainly do blend the two styles together. But there may be certain preferences over which way they wish to describe the room.

 I heavily write and work with moods and the presence of a scene when it comes to writing, yet sometimes when I need to write one that deals with more concrete things such as how the room or place looks overall, I can find myself struggling to not make it sound like I'm merely listing off the objects one by one.
 This I find, is where the blend of the two works wonders. Yet, I find this precariously done by myself, because sometimes I just don't know what I'm doing.
 But that is why first drafts can work miracles. If I can relate in writing a tone or a mood that I wish this particular scene to take on, then eventually I can go back and enhance it by working with how I can incorporate furnishings or structures into the design of the whole thing.
 Work with what you know when it comes to things like this, then see how it all works out. Some of us like to relate a mood more than describing a room, while others like to tell you exactly what all is there. (Keep in mind, characters help with mood as well.) But sometimes, even just a single word here or there, is more than enough to tell the reader what it is they are seeing.

 The sun glared in my eyes as I sat down at the table. I had been playing with the fork from the table setting when the light hit by eyes. Setting it back down, I was careful not to spill my orange juice on the white table cloth, especially not with everyone looking at me out of the corners of their eyes.

 The sun lit up the dishes as I sat at the breakfast table, I felt like I was intruding on the conversation. I picked up the silver fork and turned it in my hands, though the motion sent a ray of sun directly into my eyes. Putting the fork down, I took a sip of orange juice from my glass. I tried not to let the liquid drip down the glass and reach the lace tablecloth. Once again, it was as if I was an intruder in their midst.


 Now, perhaps these aren't purely one or the other in terms of writing with mood or with purely objects, but you can still read the difference in the two paragraphs. One is simpler and to the point as to how the other people around the breakfast table regard our main character. While the other focused on the descriptions of added "goodies" into the mix. The first told us of the objects to be noticed, the people in the room, and the main character probably has a tendency to be either clumsy or messy. The second told us that the dishes were probably of a fancier nature, that it was most likely earlier in the morning, and that he felt like he was intruding.
 Once again, these are just my opinions and observations. Though I do find it interesting to see how others write, and what it is that they write about. I find both to be equally interesting!

 How is NaNoWriMo going for you so far?
I hope you reach your goal for today! God bless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A life and a love

Resolutions

So I broke my phone