In Sync

 People sometimes ask my brother and I, "How are you guys so in sync?"
We usually look at each other, and just shrug. We don't consider ourselves to be "in sync" any more than other people. Though, you could say I guess that being the other's only friend for months at a time many times over through the years, you get to be very similar in some respects.

 My brother apologizes when he brings home food that I can't eat because of whatever's inside it. Even though, he really doesn't need to share his food with me. (I eat some of his food anyway, we're used to just eating the same things for lunch.)

 I don't see us as being in sync, so much as learning to live with similar interests. Especially when it comes to food. On multiple occasions we would be sent to the grocery store with a specified amount of money, so we'd have to agree on what to eat. So, even if we are what would be considered "in sync" I would say it came about more out of necessity, rather than immediate similarity.

 Some people learn to coexist with other people (even in their own family) by means of necessity. That's how mine worked. We don't consider ourselves to be in sync because we've known each other all of my life, and we're capable of seeing the little differences in what we choose to do even when agreeing on doing something together. But the people that say we are similar or in sync, they only see the parts of our personalities when we go somewhere new, or when we're around large groups of strangers. Because in the event of us getting lost in a sea of strangers, it can be far easier to guess where the other might be.

 So those that say, "You're so in sync!" Typically are only seeing you for a very short time, or don't know you very well. Because once you get to know other people, they start being able to see the little differences too. True, inside jokes and family hilarity make it hard for others to understand just what we're talking about, but when you've been somebody else's friend for more than half their life, you tend to know how they think. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A life and a love

Resolutions

So I broke my phone