Crepe Expectations (In multiple parts)

 I'm cooking again! And this could either be a good, or a bad thing. But I'm inclined to think it'll be the former rather than the latter, because I'm at least cooking something I have made before. (Albeit, only once. But at least I am sort of knowledgable about what I am supposed to be doing.)

 Crepes are on the menu today! I just made the batter a little while ago. Now, it's sitting in the fridge so the entire thing can settle and fully absorb all that it needs to before I try to make something out of it.

 I'm using the only recipe I have, which is also very simple. (From the cookbook 'Joy of Cooking')

 Prepping: At about a quarter to 10 this morning.

1/2 cup of Flour
1/2 cup of Milk
1/4 cup Lukewarm Water
2 large Eggs
2 Tbsp. Unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 Tbsp. Sugar
Pinch of Salt

 Combine all in a blender or a food processor until smooth, then put into a pitcher, or a bowl with a pouring lip (I'm doing neither because I have a little ladle that's just the right amount to make them later) and then cover it with plastic wrap (which I also don't have, so I just used a lid.) Set it aside for up to 30 min. so that the flour can absorb all the liquid, and the gluten can settle. You can start the process after that, or you can store the batter for up to 2 days. I'm going to be making them later today, and I'll continue as I complete each step.

 Cooking: At about 10:40 (I stopped cooking at about 11:20)

 The process for cooking crepes is both simple and complicated. Simple in that it requires very few steps, but complicated in that you need good timing and hopefully some good coordination. (I'm working on that bit.)

 So when I made the crepes, I used a stainless steel pan that was about 7 inches across, give or take. The recommended size for making crepes I guess. Heat the pan at a medium heat, and put maybe a 1/4 to a 1/2 teaspoon of butter on the pan. I used a little bit more and it made them a tad greasy in the beginning. I used about 2-ish tablespoons of batter to make each crepe, and it was almost enough to cover the pan, but when I used a bit more (while they did cover the pan completely) they were a bit thick.
 Holding the pan above the burner when pouring in the batter is the key though, or else you'll have a rather lumpy crepe that might not cook evenly.
 Cooking until golden brown on one side, with the top being congealed, you flip it over. (They say fingers are best but I'm not that tolerant to heat) I used a double-spatula method that involved a rounded wooden spatula and a regular metal one with holes in it. Eventually, I would find a way to flip the crepe.
 Now if you don't have a crepe pan (which mine isn't) it's a bit tricky to get the crepes out without tearing them, unless you use a lot of butter. And, as I tried to use a bit less as I went on, it was consecutively tricker each time to get the crepes out in one piece.
 But once you do get it out, it's best to go right on and make the next one before the pan has a chance to cool down too much.
 I made about 12 crepes with the recipe above, probably not 12, but I was generous with the batter. But they still tasted great! We used nutella on ours once they were cool, then rolled them up. Which is the way I recommend to eat them.

 (There's always clean up though, and because I'm super kitchen savvy... I used a lot of dishes! But it's a good idea to clean up everything before it dries. Trying to get dried batter off of things isn't the best way to spend the rest of the hour.)

 I hope you enjoy making crepes if you decide to make them!

 -Mae

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A life and a love

Resolutions

So I broke my phone